Wednesday, December 8, 2010

AS AMERICA STABS BRITISH SOLDIERS IN THE BACK...WAR HEROS WITHOUT LIMBS

Picture of courage: Soldier who lost both legs returning four times to rescue comrades in Afghan bomb blast stands proudly to receive MC from the Queen

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:31 AM on 8th December 2010

  • Corporal Ricky Furgusson went to the aid of wounded comrades four times
His bravery on the battlefield helped save the lives of many comrades.
Yesterday it was on display again, as he stepped forward on carbon fibre legs to receive a gallantry medal from the Queen.

Corporal Ricky Furgusson, 25, who lost both legs, an eye, and fingers on both hands in a blast in Afghanistan in January, has only been on his artificial legs for six weeks, but was determined to walk up to the Queen to receive the Military Cross at Buckingham Palace.
Scroll down for video
Proud moment: Cpl Ricky Furgusson is decorated with the Military Cross by the Queen at Buckingham Palace
Proud moment: Cpl Ricky Furgusson is decorated with the Military Cross by the Queen at Buckingham Palace
Heroic: Cpl Furgusson receives the medal
Thank you Ma'am: Cpl Furgusson was proud to have met the Queen
Thank you Ma'am: Cpl Furgusson stands before the Queen in dress uniform and on his carbon fibre legs

 
He was honoured for going to help wounded comrades at the front line on four separate occasions.

‘I’ve been having a bit of problem with the legs not fitting properly,’ he said. ‘This is the first time I’ve worn boots, which are not easy to walk in because they tip you at an angle. But I still managed to walk in them up to the Queen.

‘That’s what I wanted to do and that’s what I did. ’

Corporal Furgusson, of 4th Battalion The Rifles, was caught in the explosion as he was leaving a compound in January. He trod on a hidden explosive device which others ahead of him had stepped over.
Cpl Furgusson, pictured before his deployment to Afghanistan
Recovery: Cpl Ricky Furgusson pictured on hearing he was to be awarded the Military Cross
Recovery: Cpl Furgusson, pictured before his deployment to Afghanistan and right, on hearing that he would be receiving the Military Cross
Bravery: Cpl Furgusson used canes to walk up the red carpet at Buckingham PalaceBravery: Cpl Furgusson used canes to walk up the red carpet at Buckingham Palace
Courage: Cpl Furgusson took his first steps around four months after suffering the devastating injuries
Bravery: Cpl Furgusson used canes to walk up the red carpet at Buckingham Palace, having taken his first steps around four months after suffering the devastating injuries in the January bomb blast in Afghanistan

 

The soldier, from Telford, Shropshire, spent five weeks in intensive care and has had 17 operations including skin grafts from his forearm to recreate his lips, and skin taken from his stomach to make a left cheek.

He added: ‘The incident where I got injured, I don’t remember it. The lads told me we entered a compound but as we were told to pull out unfortunately I was the one that set the device off.
‘I spent a long time in Selly Oak [hospital] – more than a lot of people, to be honest, but I pushed through. As long as things go the way I want them – ie the legs fit the way I want them – then I’ll be happy.’

At the investiture he met a nurse who treated him as he was flown home. ‘This lady said to me: “Are you Ricky Furgusson? I’m the one that treated you on the aircraft. Nice to see you with a face.”’
Of the bravery that earned him the MC, he said: ‘My target was if somebody got injured I would go in and help them and keep them alive. But it wasn’t just me, it was my platoon on my section. We all chipped in.’
Bravery: Lance Corporal James McKie was awarded The Conspicuous Gallantry Cross
Bravery: Lance Corporal James McKie was awarded The Conspicuous Gallantry Cross

Also receiving a bravery award from the Queen was a soldier who picked up a grenade and hurled it back at Taliban attackers saving his commander.

 
Lance Corporal James McKie was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross by the monarch who thanked him for his quick-thinking.

 
The serviceman, originally from New Zealand but now based in Edinburgh, was modest about his exploits and said there were many others not recognised for their actions.

 
Lance Cpl McKie, 30, of the 3rd Battalion The Rifles, said after the Buckingham Palace investiture ceremony: 'It's been a wonderful experience coming here meeting the Queen and being recognised - not just myself but the Battalion - for what I did in Afghanistan.
'She thanked me for reacting the way I did and thanked the Battalion for the work we did in Afghanistan.
Skill: Rifleman Reece Terry used a metal detector to lead his colleagues through an IED minefield
Skill: Rifleman Reece Terry used a metal detector to lead his colleagues through an IED minefield

'It's hard being singled out as the individual to be recognised when your whole Battalion is working hard.

 
'There are other guys who have fought really hard out there - so it's important to know the award is for the whole Battalion and not just myself.'

 
During the incident in March, Lance Cpl McKie and his unit were pinned down by Taliban fire while on the roof of a compound building and a grenade was thrown hitting his commander on the back who threw himself to the floor.

 
The soldier said: 'I just reacted, I saw the grenade. I knew how the grenade worked and I knew how much time I had - which was pretty much no time - and I threw it off the roof.'

 
It exploded a split second later leaving him with shrapnel wounds to his face and hands but no serious injuries.

 
During the ceremony a teenage soldier who helped lead a daring night raid in southern Afghanistan to capture a Taliban leader was awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal.

 
Rifleman Reece Terry, 19, of the 4th Battalion The Rifles, was armed with only a Vallon metal detector and night vision goggles when he led the force through a densely vegetated area full of improvised explosive devices during the 12-hour mission last year.
When they reached their target, special forces servicemen captured the Taliban leader and six others and destroyed enemy munitions before the soldier, who was 18 at the time, found a safe path back to base.

 
The Rifleman from Taunton in Somerset said: 'I was surprised that I got the award, I was just doing my job at the end of the day.
'The Queen asked me "do you use the Vallon?" and asked me if it works - it does it's a really good bit of kit.'


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336480/Afghanistan-bomb-blast-soldier-Ricky-Furgusson-receives-Military-Cross-Queen.html#ixzz17VPVk65N